I have a few projects coming up that I hope to start blogging about, but to kick the series off I am going to document an older build (~5 years old). I have always wanted a “proper” home theater with a decent projector, nice screen, and immersive sound. That has, of course, taken a back seat to so many other priorities but I at least I have a screen to show for it.
I went for something I thought was straight forward: a wood frame and cloth screen. What I ended up with was something that was probably over-engineered/overkill for my use case but something I am happy with either way. It started with a couple drawings in my project notebook with an emphasis on preventing any sagging in the screen over time. The screen had to be supported from the sides due to a double-wide window being located behind the screen.
I decided on a 128” screen early on, mostly because the projector I was looking at supported the size and it looked like it would fill the wall well. All in, it probably cost around $250 to build, including all the extra hardware bits I could probably do without.
A while back I created a few git utilities which I am sure are available in other packages but I had the immediate need and boredom to create. Those are git-stp (Git: Stash, Test, Pop) and git-wipit (Git: WIP it good, WIP it real good!).
The first utility, git-stp, grew out of a need to continually stash particular changes, run a test framework around the commited changes, and pop the stash back if everything was OK. This was to ensure that each commit I made was green in isolation, a requirement of our team at the time.
The second utility, git-wipit, was created because I found myself writing quick WIP (Work In Progress) commits during the day before meetings, lunch, leaving, etc. Instead of wasting the energy to stage and commit all changes, I decided to shorten the effort to two words: git wipit. The utility also allows for pushing commits off to a branch based on the current branch name (i.e. if you are on feature-12345 it would then create wip/feature-12345 for you) or a name you specify (wip/<user-provided-name>).
I was recently inspired by a reddit post where they used LEGO on the back of a Surface Pro 3 to help organize their peripherals while on the go. Since my primary machine is now a laptop and I am near a LEGO store I figured I would give it a shot. I used a green baseplate and whatever flat brick material I could find and created this monster:
Every time I go to rebuild a home server of any type I always forget which guides I used in the past and what steps I had to take to get any software running. Now most of what I need is easy to setup but some things take a few more steps. One guide I am always looking for is a mostly from scratch install of rTorrent with ruTorrent on NGINX with PHP-FPM. Since I never seem to find one that meets my specific case I decided it was time for me to write the guide I needed.
In this guide I will be building on top of a base install of ArchLinux ARM on a Raspberry Pi 2. If you have any questions about the steps below, please feel free to comment!
I am sure I am about 4 years behind the curve on this one, but I recently came across the neat concept of ‘humans.txt’. The basics of the concept is a extra file which is not intrusive to the code or experience of the site. It is located at the root, just like the much used ‘robots.txt’, but lists the authorship, how to contact them, where to look for their work, thanks to those who helped, and even the technologies used to build the site.
Using the standard found on the humans.txt site I have built my own file and placed it on the few sites I have written. You can see the current content of the file below, or see if it updated here.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
/* TEAM */ Developer:Winston R Milling Contact:Winston [at] W4C.BE Website:WRMilling.com Blog:W4C.BE GitHub:/WRMilling Twitter:@W4CBE Callsign:W4CBE From:Greater Atlanta Metro Area, GA, USA
/* SITE */ Last update:2015 Language:English Doctype:HTML5 IDE:Cloud9IDE